Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend Review

We were awoken Sunday morning at 6am because the nurse in the NICU called to inform us that Caitlyn had significant amounts of blood in her diaper overnight. They sent her blood, urine and spinal fluid in for cultures- looking for both viral and bacterial infections. They put Caitlyn on precautions, which meant that anyone going in and out of her room had to fully gown, mask, and glove up before entering. They also stopped all milk and put her on IV fluids with a triple dose of antibiotics. She had no signs of infection, not even a fever, so I was a little sceptical. They mentioned it could also be a reaction to the milk fortifier that they started her on a week ago, which made me immediately think that it is probably an allergy to cow's milk, just like Aidan has. Today we found out that nothing has grown in her urine or blood cultures, and her doctor believes that the cause of her bleeding is probably a food allergy, just like I thought. Caitlyn's doctor has asked me to stop eating dairy products for the remainder of the time that I want to breastfeed. I am so glad that she is not sick. But no dairy and no meat...what am I going to eat?
Caitlyn turns 1 month old tomorrow, so we'll post some new stats then. Here's a picture of her with no feeding tube, so you can see her little mouth:

2 comments:

Isabelle Cannon said...

I can't believe that Caitlyn is a month old!! She looks so great!! She reminds me of Jack, just chugging along with no real problems

Amy said...

Looking good! What a sweetie. I hope Adam and I get to meet her soon!