Friday, December 11, 2009

I am reminded every day when I read all the other blogs, how important it is to write about even the little things.
We have a tradition each December of making a countdown chain to Christmas. On the inside of each link, we write the date, and something we are supposed to do that day. Sometimes it's something like donating a toy, or food for those in need. Sometimes it's something fun like watching a holiday movie, or making a gingerbread house from scratch. Other days, we read and learn about Hanukkah or Kwanza.

A few days ago, we were to learn a new Christmas carol. Aidan had different plans though, and decided to write his own Christmas carol. One that has never been sung before. So here is what he came up with, and I love it. It also shows how much he is developing with his reading and writing skills. They are taught in kindergarten to sound out the words and spell them as they think they are to be written. He does just so with the words "selubrates" and "brth". My favorite is how he shortened the word "because", just like he does in regular coversation.

1 comment:

Erin J-K said...

I love the idea of writing "something" in each ring but I wasn't wasn't sure what to write (my kids are too little to do bible verses or something). I love your ideas however! Simple but the kids must really love them. Do you let the kids help you think of these or do you come up with them on your own?